|Red and pink paintbrush, smooth blue asters, and arnica|
Healy Pass – Banff: 18 km return, 655 m elevation gain
If you’re up for a long hike and don’t relish spending $27 on the bus, the wildflowers at Healy Pass are just as amazing as what you will see at Sunshine Meadows’ bus drop off. Allow 6 hours for this moderate, but long hike so you have plenty of time for lunch, snack breaks, and photos.
For more information on Healy Pass, please see this post.
|Indian paintbrush (red), Arnica (yellow), and Western Anemones (furry) decorated the meadow|
Bow Valley Provincial Park trails: 1.5-2.5 km, minimal elevation gain
|Blue Rock Clematis on Many Springs Trail|
|Middle Lake, Bow Valley Provincial Park|
More Wildflower Hikes
- Bow Summit Lookout, Icefields Parkway: 5.8 km, 245 m elevation gain
- Centennial Ridge, Kananaskis: As soon as you get above treeline (approximately 3.2 km from parking lot), you will enter a meadow of wildflowers.
- Johnson Lake, Banff: 3.1 km, no elevation gain
- Marl Lake Interpretive Trail, Peter Lougheed Provincial Park: 3.1 km round trip from Elkwood Campground Amphitheatre parking lot, 25 m elevation gain
- Parker Ridge, Jasper: 5.4 km, 250 m elevation gain
Wildflower season in the Rockies is short, so don’t delay! Check with local Visitor Information Centres to discover the best wildflower hikes in the area you are visiting.