It’s the first long weekend of summer! How will you celebrate Canada Day? We have 10+ ideas for outdoor fun in and around Calgary.
- Visit a Mountain Park! Admission to the National Parks is free on Canada Day! Suggested day trips…
- Banff: Paddle at Johnson Lake, ride the Mount Norquay Chair Lift and have lunch at the Cliffhouse Bistro, then go for a Lantern Tour of Cave & Basin. For more ideas, please see 10 Banff Day Trips to Do This Summer.
- Lake Louise: Join other brave souls for the Polar Bear Dip (11:30 am at Lake Louise), then hike to the Lake Agnes Teahouse or Plain of Six Glaciers. Treat yourself to a coffee and pastry at Laggan’s before heading home.
- Yoho: Hike to Wapta Falls, then check out the Natural Bridge and Takakkaw Falls.
Wapta Falls, Yoho National Park
|West Wind Pass, Kananaskis|
|Chester Lake in spring – it should have less snow now! 🙂|
|Glenmore Reservoir, Calgary|
- Calgary picnic areas include: Bowness Park, Edworthy Park, North Glenmore Park, South Glenmore Park, Prairie Winds Park, Pearce Estate Park, Shouldice Park, Sandy Beach (but not recommended at this time due to construction in the area), Stanley Park, and Fish Creek Park (Bebo Grove). Call 311 to book a site (fees apply). To see bike routes to these parks, please see 10 Fun Family Bike Rides in Calgary.
- More picnic spots in Calgary: We love bringing a picnic blanket to Confederation Park and sitting under the big trees. The duck pond and playground are fun for the kids too. St. Patrick’s Island Park is also fantastic – there is a covered picnic area with tables and chairs, another picnic area near the playground, and several benches around the island. Kids will love the unique playground and lagoon as well as the George C. King pedestrian bridge. To see bike routes to/from St Patrick’s Island Park, please see 10 Fun Family Bike Rides in Calgary.
- Some out of town picnic areas we like include:
- Middle Lake, Bow Valley Provincial Park;
- Mount Lorette Ponds, Kananaskis;
- Wedge Pond, Kananaskis (bike the Bill Milne Trail from Ribbon Creek then picnic at the lake!);
- Forget-Me-Not Pond, Bragg Creek (The 2 km trail around the pond is perfect for preschoolers!);
- Two Jack Lake, Banff; and
- Cascade Pond, Banff.
Middle Lake, Bow Valley Provincial Park
|Crescent Falls, Nordegg Area|
|Big POG and her Brook Trout|
|Glenbow Ranch Provincial Park|