This Mother’s Day, treat Mom to great gear for her favorite outdoor activity, and sign up for the Sport Chek Mother’s Day Run, Walk & Ride in support of Calgary Health Trust NICU and Canadian Tire’s Jumpstart Charities.
Mother’s Day Fun: Sport Chek Mother’s Day Run, Walk & Ride
At the Sport Chek Mother’s Day Run, Walk & Ride, you can spend quality time together while supporting a good cause. This year the Sport Chek Mother’s Day Run, Walk & Ride will be going virtual but still supports the same great charities. Sign up, pick up your swag bag, and post photos/fundraise/donate to win amazing prizes including a Hush Weighted Blanket, Capix Pura Vida Cruiser Bike, and GoPro Hero 9 Bundle.
For more information, see our story: What’s new at the Sport Chek Mother’s Day Run, Walk & Ride.
Register online at https://www.mdrunwalkride.com.
Mother’s Day Gift Guide
We have carefully curated our favorite items for running, biking, and hiking that would make great Mother’s Day gifts. All items are under $160 and can be found at Sport Chek.
Disclosures: 1. This gift guide was sponsored by Sport Chek, but all words and opinions are my own. 2. This story contains affiliate links through which I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support!
For the Runner
1. The Fitbit Inspire 2 Fitness Tracker + Heart Rate is a compact and affordable fitness tracker that boasts ten days of battery life and is waterproof (swimproof actually!). You can track your sleep quality and get email/phone notifications on it too! A free 1-year Fitbit premium trial membership is included for new members. Available in Black and Desert Rose.
2. The Under Armour Women’s Multi Hair Cap is a lightweight, breathable cap with a large open section in the back and wide elastic so you can wear the hat with a ponytail or bun! It’s also great for hiking! Available in Black, or Slate Purple Medium Heather.
3. For wind protection, try the Under Armour Women’s Train Woven Full Zip Reversible Hooded Jacket. One side is smooth, woven material; and the other is mesh. Available in Blue.
4. Spring is the perfect time of year to add some color to your wardrobe! I have a million pairs of black leggings, so I was stoked to find these patterned ones: Under Armour Women’s Run Fly Fast Speed Print Tights (see photo above). The material is light so you don’t overheat, and there’s a drawstring at the waist to prevent wardrobe malfunctions when you’re stretching (though I’ve never had to worry about it; the waistband fits well).
For the Cyclist
1. The relaxed fit Diamondback Women’s 1/2 Zip Jersey has a 1/2 zip for temperature control, centre back pocket for protein bars or gels, and is perfect for all types of riding. The antimicrobial finish will “keep you smelling fresh all day”! Available in Violet or Black.
2. The Fox Women’s Ranger Mountain Bike Gloves offer a lot of bang for your buck: touch screen compatibility and silicone grips on the thumbs and shifting fingers. Available in light blue.
3. With room for 2.5 L of water, a bike pump, tools, and emergency gear, the Thule Uptake 12L Hydration Pack is the ideal size for mountain biking. Its integrated waist strap takes weight off your shoulders while the perforated foam harness keeps you from getting too sweaty. Available in blue.
4. Stay comfortable and dry with the highly-rated Diamondback Women’s Cycling 7 Inch Shorts. These high waisted padded bike shorts are neither too long nor too short, and are made of moisture-wicking fabric.
For the Hiker
1. If you want a daypack that fits well and has features of a big backpacking pack, try the Gregory Women’s Juno 24L Backpack. VaporSpan ventilated suspension distributes the weight and keeps you cool, plenty of pockets allow you to keep essentials handy, and the hydration sleeve and water bottle pockets provide multiple ways to stay hydrated. Available in Lunar Grey.
2. Ice Trekkers Diamond Grip Ice Cleats are a must for icy walks. Hardened steel beads on aircraft cable bie into packed snow and ice to provide good traction on flat trails or city sidewalks. The rubber harness stretches to fit over your boots and fits snugly so you don’t lose your cleats. For more aggressive options, see our story: Traction Devices for Winter Walks & Hikes.
3. The Icebreaker Women’s Spector Mountain T Shirt is perfect for mountain lovers. Made of 90% merino wool, it is breathable and naturally odor resistant. The offset shoulder seams mean no chafing from your backpack, and the mountain outline will keep you dreaming of weekend adventures. Available in Metro Heather/Mountain outline and Blue Spruce/no pattern.
4. The Helly Hansen Women’s Vanir Salka 3L Shell Jacket is a technical windproof, waterproof, breathable jacket with pit zips for temperature control and fully-taped seams. Pop it in your backpack year-round and you’re ready for a storm. Harness compatible for mountaineering. Available in Navy, Scuba Blue (turquoise), and Nightshade. Currently on sale for $135.97 (down from $227.97, as of May 4, 2021).
5. The Adventure Medical Kit Ultralight 0.3 First Aid Kit comes in an ultralight bag with rugged waterproof liner and all the first aid supplies you need for a dayhike. Includes bandaids, antiseptic wipes, gauze and safety pins, dressings, butterfly closures, and an After Bite® Wipe. (Tip: We added a pair of tweezers, tick removal tool, and Polysporin to our kit.)
For Every Day Exploring
1. When you need traction and a bit of foot protection, but don’t want to wear athletic looking sports sandals, Keen Women’s Rose Sandals are just what you need. Available in Gargoyle/Raven.