|Little POG on WOOM 1 and Big POG on WOOM 2 at Glenbow Ranch Provincial Park
When we got the chance to test the WOOM 2 (14″ bike), we quickly saw what the hype was about. The bikes fit just right, they were comfortable to ride, and they looked good too. In fact, Big POG liked the WOOM 2 so much, we bought the WOOM 3 (16″ bike)! In this review, we will be sharing our experience with the WOOM 2 (14″ bike) & WOOM 3 (16″ bike).
WOOM Bikes Size Chart
Unboxing & Assembly
Total setup time: 5 minutes.
Testing (The Fun Part!)
|Big POG riding the WOOM 2 downhill on a gravel trail
So, what is so special about WOOM bikes? And why are they so comfortable to ride?
Crafted for Kids: WOOM 2 & 3 Features
WOOM’s kid-specific geometry is the secret to their success. The super lightweight AL-6061 aluminum frames of the WOOM 2 & 3 have been designed specifically for new cyclists so they can ride how they naturally and comfortably. The extended wheel base, lower top tube, and lower seat tube allow little ones to sit lower to the ground and ride in an upright position. This combination of lower centre of gravity and upright position help kids to balance easier and feel more confident on the bikes. Big POG says the WOOM bikes are more comfortable to ride, and Little POG likes being able to balance herself the way she would on a balance bike (sitting upright).
|Little POG learning to ride the WOOM 2! She is used to a balance bike,
so being able to stand over the bike and sit upright makes her feel safe.
The sloping top bar not only makes a lower centre of gravity, but provides a low standover height which makes it easier to get on and off the bike. Both my girls make use of this feature jumping off the bike frequently to pick flowers or look at critters!
Short cranks (pedal “arms) and a low bottom bracket also make these bikes easy to learn to ride. When Little POG feels scared, she can easily put her feet down on the ground, just like she would when riding her balance bike. Take a look at other kids’ bikes and you will quickly see they are not built the same! Many crank arms are much too long for the size of bike.
(For an in-depth explanation of the WOOM 2 and WOOM 3’s bike geometry, see this excellent post by Natalie at Two Wheeling Tots.)
The WOOM 2 and WOOM 3’s gearing is optimal for rolling terrain: it is low enough that Big POG is able to ride uphill to school with ease, but high enough that she can get some speed on the flats.
|WOOM 1 (blue) and WOOM 2 (red)
If your kids are like mine, they are always wanting a snack, so it’s nice to know their hands haven’t been soaking up toxic chemicals from their bike grips. Parents can get some peace of mind knowing that the hand grips and saddle are softener free (no phthalates) and even the paint used is a high quality toxic free, powder coating usually only found on the most expensive bicycles.
- Narrower hand grips and “small hand reach” V-brakes make it easy for little riders to master hand brakes. The WOOM 2 & WOOM 3 come with front and rear V-brakes and coaster brakes, but can be shipped with hand brakes only if you prefer. Another option is to purchase a freewheeling kit (extra charge) so you can switch out the coaster brake when your child is ready. I recommend that kids learn to use hand brakes as soon as possible. More info here.
- The optimal tire width (50 mm cross section) and ChromMoly fork provide maximum damping for a smoother ride.
- The high quality and high volume tires have low rolling resistance for ultimate safety. We appreciate the reflectors on the wheels also.
- The wheels’ lightweight WOOM-SOOPA-DOOPA-HOOPS alloy rims and industrial bearings hubs connected with stainless steel spokes provide easy propulsion.
- The steer limiter gently limits the turning radius and helps prevent wipeouts. Chain guards have never been a dealbreaker for us (all of our other kids’ bikes didn’t have them), but they are great for keeping grease off of clothes and your car. I like being able to toss the bikes in the trunk and not worry about stains! I think they’ve saved a few pairs of pants too.
|WOOM Bikes’ Small Hand Reach Brakes
Long story short, we love the WOOM 2 & 3!
|Big POG is all smiles on the WOOM 2.